On 3 January 2016 at 07:19, Mark Pizzolato <m...@infocomm.com> wrote:
> Well, HELP suggests the following
>
>         sim> help dmc config example
>         Device DMC is currently disabled
>         DMC help.  Type <CR> to exit, HELP for navigation help
>         Examples
>             To configure two simulators to talk to each other use the
> following
>             example:
>
>             Machine 1
>                 sim> SET DMC ENABLE
>                 sim> SET DMC0 PEER=LOCALHOST:2222
>                 sim> ATTACH DMC0 1111
>
>             Machine 2
>                 sim> SET DMC ENABLE
>                 sim> SET DMC0 PEER=LOCALHOST:1111
>                 sim> ATTACH DMC0 2222
>
> You should be able to confirm that this is sufficient if you try connecting
> DMCs together when running 'known to work' OS configurations (these include
> VMS and RSX).

I guess I need to install RSX or VMS then. And that was the first
configuration I tried.

> Meanwhile, since RSTS's drivers (or network startup code) have issued
> warnings about problems with the version of the device we can't really be
> sure that it is actually starting up the device.  The DMC device simulator
> won't try to connect to the peer until the simulated OS brings the device
> online.

Well, I was attempting it with RSTS/E since the "XM0: is missing
ECO's, but will still function." error implies that the DMC11 device
would still function. I turned on debug for the DMC device using "SET
DMC DEBUG" and nothing seems to be getting printed even though the DMC
device is being "used" by RSTS/E.

In any case, after DECnet/E 4.1 starts up the following gets printed:
Event type 4.11, Circuit initialization failure - circuit fault
Occurred 20-Dec-28 13:25:10.0 on node 1.250 (HOUOU)
Circuit DMC-0
Reason = Circuit synchronization lost
Adjacent node address = 0

The above message repeats, continuously, of course with date and time
matching. Trying with a date before 2000, still results in the same
circuit initialization failure (just with the correct date, of
course).

> If someone has RSTS DMC11 device driver source we could determine the details
> of the version requirements and/or other behavior that it needs.

Unfortunately, I can't help with that since the driver sources don't
come with the RSTS/E 10.1-L installation tape.

Cheers,
Christian
--
Christian M. Gauger-Cosgrove