On 1/20/16 7:37 PM, Johnny Billquist wrote:

I see you are having fun. :-)

A couple of comments:

ODT actually stands for On-line Debugging Tool, not Online Debugging Technique.

You display the map file after linking with /debug, but the actual map file included was not from linking with /debug. :-)

I might be wrong, but I thought ODT works the same under RT-11 as under RSX, in which case you have several errors when listing and explaining commands.

;B will not remove breakpoints. It will actually set a breakpoint at the current location, using the first "free" breakpoint register.
B will remove all breakpoints, and nB will remove an explicit breakpoint.
;nB will set a breakpoint using breakpoing register n.

G will run the program. The semicolon is not needed. An argument before G becomes the address where it starts. If no argument is given, it will start at the beginning of the program. The same with P, you can give an argument, which means it will pass that many breakpoints before actually stopping.

S will singlestep, and if you give an argument, it will singlestep that many instructions.

Now, this is how it works in RSX, so it *might* be that RT-11 works differently, but I would not have thought so. Maybe recheck this? (It might also just be that you are using an older version of ODT than was is "current".)

Your illustrations for words and bytes are inconsistent.
For words, you say that the boundaries are bit 0 and 15, while for bytes they are 0, 7 and 15. As you are describing the values giving the low and high bits, the correct thing would be to sat that a word have the boundaries at bit 0 and 15, and when dealing with bytes, the low byte is boundaries at bit 0 and 7, while the high byte have boundaries at bit 8 and 15.

"Current directory". RT-11 do not have a concept of a current directory, since there is only one directory on any device. However, unless I remember wrong, RT-11 do have the concept of the current device. This is given by the logical name DSK: You can assign DSK: to any device, and that will then be your default device. The system has a logical name SYS:. And in additional you have the physical names for the different devices. And you can, of course, create your own names as well, if you want. Such as SRC: where you have source, if you want.

Now, I'm not an RT-11 expert, so you probably should search around and read some more documentation. But this might be some useful hints anyway. :-)

    Johnny

Johnny,

Good points all. I'll work on incorporating the changes tomorrow. The MAP thing was because I did multiple runs and when I "fixed" the format, I used the wrong source. Thanks for taking the time to read the tutorial!

Regards,

Will