> On Jan 26, 2018, at 2:38 PM, Clem Cole <cl...@ccc.com> wrote:

> ​VMSinc had the Gem compiler as part of their license.   As I say, they have
> Neil hacking on it again.   But I believe that he is only worried about
> Itanium and INTEL*64 at the moment.​  I also do not know what they are doing
> with the front-ends.

One of the more curious front ends of GEM is the Alpha assembler.  I found out
about that when doing some Alpha hand-optimizing early on (a handcoded "memcpy
with TCP checksum calculation while doing it" if I remember right).  It turned
out I could write drafts of that code and give it to the assembler with a
/OPTIMIZE switch to let the back end take what I wrote and do stuff to it.  It
wasn't always right, but it was a neat source of ideas.

The only other optimizing assembler I can think of is SOAP, way back in the
1950s.

        paul