On 2018-01-27 17:21, John Forecast wrote:

On Jan 26, 2018, at 2:17 PM, Johnny Billquist <b...@softjar.se> wrote:

On 2018-01-26 18:48, Timothe Litt wrote:
BLISS-36,-16,-32,-32E,-64E, MIPS, INTEL, IA64, are DEC's common BLISS - evolved (and
greatly extended) from BLISS-11, but not (really) source-compatible for non-trivial
programs.  "common" means that (with carefully defined exceptions that can be
conditionally compiled), the same language is accepted by all, and it's possible to write
portable programs.  Including common BLISS itself.  RMS-10/20 is another non-trivial
example - same sources as VAX/RMS.  There are a number of targets and host environment
combinations that are supported.
BLISS-16 is hosted on both PDP-10 and VAX, producing PDP-11 object code.  I used
both.  I didn't encounter an Alpha-hosted version - but it should have compiled
& run there, so it probably existed.  Or was VESTed.

I don't think BLISS-16 ran on PDP-10, but I could be wrong. I've never seen or
heard anything about BLISS-16 running on Alpha or beyond. I guess it could be
possible to do, but I sortof doubt anyone did. If anyone have the bits, I would
be very interested in hearing about it, as I would like to recompile some bits
and pieces. (Any BLISS-16 compiler would be a good start.)

Most software written in BLISS-10 & -11 was converted to common  BLISS.
There was an attempt at self-hosting BLISS-16, but it failed - technically, it
ran, but there really wasn't enough address space to make it usable.
Cross-compiling wasn't popular (networks were crude), so BLISS-16 was not as
widely adopted.

Well, parts of the RSX kernel is written in BLISS-16, and all of RMS-11. Also
some parts of DECnet-11M-PLUS.
That much I know. I don't know what else might been written in BLISS-16.

        Do you know which parts ended up in Bliss? I was project lead for the
first version of DECnet-11M-Plus which was written entirely in Macro-11 (Well
there may have been Fortran/Basic etc in the run-time libraries).

PHONE is written in BLISS. The rest of BLISS I can find is for PRO/DECnet, where it appears the equivalent of NCP was instead written in BLISS, along with NICE (they're called NMT and NSO). Both subsystems last worked in in 1985.

The only Fortran or Basic I can find are demo programs on how to use the NETFOR library.

  Johnny

email: b...@softjar.se             ||  Reading murder books