In message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Risto Vaarandi writes:

>does anyone have comments on the new release?
>Since it's the first beta, things are still open now and changes can be
>made.

Haven't had a chance to look at it. I am busy trying to get my CM
system documented and released.

>Risto Vaarandi wrote:
>> The new version introduces a number of changes. First of all, two new
>> rule types have been introduced (that has not happened since the 1.1
>> version :).

I remember.

>> The Jump rule can be used for continuing the matching
>> process in specific collection of rule files, while the Options rule
>> defines match options for the current rule file. With Jump and Options
>> rules, one can set up a hierarchy of rule files that allow for
>> hierarchical matching - if line(s) match a certain pattern, continue the
>> matching process in a certain rule file set A; if another pattern
>> matches on set A, continue the matching process in set B, etc.

Hopefully I'll get a chance to look at it.

>> Another change concerns the 'continue' parameter of rules -- it now
>> accepts GoTo <label> for its value. Also, goto labels can be set up with
>> the 'label' keyword in configuration files.

Is the label scoped to a single file, or can I put a label in a
different file and have it continue in the different file?

>> I have tested the new features in a production environment and the
>> results indicate that the event throughput increases significantly
>> (provided that you find appropriate criteria for building up rule file
>> hierarchies and skipping irrelevant rules with GoTo statements).

This doesn't surprise me as I saw the same using my mechanism for
spiliting large rulesets into multiple files which skip a large
number of rules for every event.

Looking forward to having some time to work with it.

--
                                -- rouilj
John Rouillard