Hello:

In message <1285944684.24023.5.ca...@kittyhawk.ittns.northwestern.edu>,
Mike Rykowski writes:
>I'm trying to do something simple and I must be missing something
>obvious.
>
>I have a log message of the form 'blah A blah B'. There could be
>duplicates of the exact same message that I want to ignore but if
>another message comes in with not A but B within a time period I want to
>do an action.
>
>For example 'blah A blah B' and within say 2 minutes I get a message
>'blah !A blah B' then do action.
>
>I tried doing the above with a pair rule but it does not work.

I think you want a PairWithWindow rule not a pair rule.

See if:

  type = pairwithwindow
  desc = match starting line and extract elements
  ptype = regexp
  pattern = blah (\w+) blah (\w+)
  rem = action if event B does not occur after event a within window
  action = none
  desc2 = match not first element with second element
  ptype2 = substr
  pattern2 = blah [!]$1 blah $2
  rem = action if event B occurs after event a within window
  action2 = ....
  window = 120

does what you want.

--