Hi again,

On 9/11/06, Ben Goertzel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> It follows that the AIXItl algoritm applied to friendliness would be
> effectively more friendly than any other time t and space l bounded
> agent.
Yes, but the problem is that AIXItl, in order to run effectively,
requires unpracticably massive amounts of space and time resources....

Assuming that AIXItl be effectively better at achieving its goal than
any other agent with the
same space and time resource limitations (t,l) would still make it the
algorithm of choice no matter how computationally intense, as any
other system given equal resources would come to a less optimal
solution by definition.

Also, the theorems about AIXItl show that AIXItl would (if given  goal
G) be effectively better at achieving G than any other agent with the
same space and time resource limitations (t,l), **within a constant
factor**. This constant factor may be large

or small...

So the theorem is really only about how the
effectiveness of AIXItl compares to the effectiveness of other systems
as (t,l) becomes very large ...

Does your essay not focus on immensely complex decisions as main issue?

it doesn't tell you much about the situation for specific, realistic (t,l)
values...

Since we assume that AIXItl is effectively better at achieving its
goal than any other agent with the same space and time resource
limitations the specific values for t and l do not matter. Do they?

In short: it's some pretty math with some conceptual evocativeness,
but not of any pragmatic value...

I take your word for it since you obviously are an authority in the
field but your logic is not apparent to me.

Shane: I know you are working closely with Hutter - would you mind
commenting on this?

Cheers,

Stefan
--
Stefan Pernar
App. 1-6-I, Piao Home

-------
AGIRI.org hosts two discussion lists: http://www.agiri.org/email
[singularity] = more general, [agi] = more technical

http://v2.listbox.com/member/[EMAIL PROTECTED]