Or to put it another way: there is no rational basis for the belief that Something Big will happen in 2012, specifically. It is an apocalyptic date from an ancient calendar (let's call that an ADFAAC) that happens to coincide with the epoch of the silicon revolution on this planet. Well, as I recall, we already had an ADFAAC a few years
back, and we didn't even have the planes falling out of the sky that the Y2K
people expected. The appeals of 2012ism have nothing to do with common-sense
logic, and yet common-sense logic alone is sufficient to anticipate the creation of superhuman artificial intelligence, and therefore some form of Singularity. So I think the cognitive baseline, in thinking about the Singularity, is ironically to think of it as a *mundane* event - not in the sense of uninteresting, but in the sense of worldly. It will be something as real as a paycheck or a car crash or a tree. Now
maybe there's much more to reality than This Earthly Plane, in which case a
Singularity here presumably has some relationship to the larger scheme of things. For example - just to express this idea in a form that people here may be more inclined to take seriously - if we're 'living in a simulation', then a Singularity is potentially a simulation-breaching event. But let me suggest two guidelines for discussion
(I would be happy to see them improved upon): 1. The focus has to be on the
nature and meaning of the Singularity within that part of reality with which we are already moderately familiar; 2. When discussing the Rest of Reality, one should
always keep one's premises in sight.