On 10/22/06, Ben Goertzel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
This particular potential investor is "still thinking about it" ... he's
currently on vacation and will discuss further when he gets back.  Of course
this was an unusual conversation due to the amputation theme (and the amount
of wine being consumed during the conversation, as it was over dinner rather
than in an office setting), but other than that it was pretty standard.
Skepticism about AI runs reallllllly deep, it seems.

Plus he was a pretty big dude!  :-)

At least if you get his funding he will also contribute inspiration.
Normally when a person says "chop chop" it means "right away; quickly"
but when *he* gets on the phone and says "chop chop" it will have an
extra layer of meaning!

(And hey, that was Orange County, not LA.)

I know you must be frustrated with fund raising, but investor
relunctance is understandable from the perspective that for decades
now there has always been someone who said we're N years from full
blown AI, and then N years passed with nothing but narrow AI progress.
Of course, someone will end up being right at some point.

For the record, at the same event, Peter Voss of Adaptive AI
(http://www.adaptiveai.com/) stated his company would have AGI in 2
years. I *think* he qualified it as being at the level of a 10 year
old child. Help me out on that, if you remember.

I've started saving up for my robot butler...

-Chuck