Hi everyone! I just joined this discussion list, which looks great by the
way. I'm a philosopher by trade (mostly working on what we mean by things
like 'reasons', 'ought's and 'values'), but I read a lot of science,
including singularity stuff, in my spare time.

I actually think there is reason to think we are not living in a computer
simulation. From what I've read, inflationary cosmology seems to be very
well supported. (Early exponential expansion of the universe explains things
like observed flatness, homogeneity across distances, rarity of magnetic
monopoles, and scale invariance of primordial density fluctuations.)
Mathematical models of inflation point towards the process being eternal.
There is some energy in space-time itself, which when dense enough causes
expansion of space-time. But since that space-time will also have that
vacuum energy, it fuels the expansion even more making it an exponential
process. (Total energy is conserved because it is counterbalanced by
gravity.)

The upshot is that you have this multiverse expanding exponentially. Certain
regions of it will, through quantum fluctuations, decay into a lower vacuum
energy state that slows down the expansion and turns that energy into
ordinary matter and energy. Thus, we get a universe like our's. Any
spacetime regions that undergo decay, however, is more than made up for by
the exponential expansion. Every second, there are 10^37 *more* universes
being "born" than there were before.

Thus, at any given time, the vast majority of the universes that exist are
very young. So, I grant that it is *possible* that we are in a universe in
which some other civilization has evolved enough to run simulations and we
are just living in that simulation. But it will take a *lot* of seconds for
that civilization to evolve. And each second, it will be vastly outnumbered
by younger universes. The anthropic principle says to place an equal
probability on being an observer with the same evidence set as you. Since
there are so many more observers with these observations who are living in
the real world rather than a simulation (given that young universes
predominate), we have most reason to believe we are not in a simulation.

I think this could also explain why we have not seen alien civilizations.
Among all the universes in which there are observers who share our evidence
set about our history, evolution, etc., there will be many more universes in
which we were the first civilization to evolve than in which we came
significantly after some other civilization.

John Ku

Philosophy Graduate Student
University of Michigan
http://www.umich.edu/~jsku

On 3/1/07, Matt Mahoney <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

--- Jef Allbright <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On 3/1/07, Matt Mahoney <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> > --- Jef Allbright <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> the
> > >
> > > Matt -
> > >
> > > Would you please clarify how/why you think B follows from A in your
> > > preceding statement?
> >
> > Hutter's proof requires that the environment have a computable
> distribution.
> > http://www.hutter1.net/ai/aixigentle.htm
> >
> > So in any universe of this type, Occam's Razor should hold.  If
Occam's
> Razor
> > did not hold, then we could conclude that the universe is not
computable.
> The
> > fact that Occam's Razor does hold means we cannot rule out the
possibility
> > that the universe is simulated.
>
> Matt -
>
> I think this answers my question to you, at least I think I see where
> you're coming from.
>
> I would say that you have justification for saying that interaction
> with the universe demonstrates mathematically modelable regularities
> (in keeping with the principle of parsimony), rather than saying that
> it's a simulation (which involves additional assumptions.)
>
> Do you think you have information to warrant taking it further?
>
> - Jef

There is no way to know if the universe is real or simulated.  From our
point
of view, there is no difference.  If the simulation is realistic then
there is
no experiment we could do to make the distinction.  I am just saying that
our
universe is consistent with a simulation in that it appears to be
computable.

One disturbing implication is that the simulation might be suddenly turned
off
or changed in some radical way you can't anticipate.  You really don't
know
anything about the world in which the simulation is being run.  (The movie
"The Matrix" is based on this idea).  Maybe the Singularity has already
happened and what you observe as the universe is part of the resulting
computation.

My argument is that if the universe is simulated then these possibilities
are
unlikely.  My reasoning is that if we know nothing about this computation
then
we should assume a universal Solomonoff prior, i.e. a universal Turing
machine
programmed by random coin flips.  This is what Hutter did to solve the
problem
of rational agents.  I am applying the idea to understanding a universe
about
which (if it is not real) we know nothing, except that shorter programs
are
more likely than longer ones.

-- Matt Mahoney, [EMAIL PROTECTED]

http://v2.listbox.com/member/?list_id=11983