On 3/3/07, gts <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

On Fri, 02 Mar 2007 21:09:08 -0500, John Ku <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Okay, thanks, I suppose I was coming at this from a different perspective:
personally I take Hume's criticism of induction somewhat seriously and
Carroll's criticism of deduction not so seriously. It seemed to me in the
paragraph I quoted that you were treating them equally, as though
deduction should be considered as suspect as induction.

I've learned to live with the dark cloud of Humean skepticism hanging over
my head, but criticisms of deduction strike me as assaults on sanity
itself. :)

Which is why you and I continue to butt heads over the most
fundamental descriptions of "reality".  In a very general, and thus
widely applicable sense, both induction and deduction are descriptions
of methods of organizing information, performed by a necessarily
subjective (limited context) system. You seem to be holding tight to
belief in absolutes.

- Jef