On 3/4/07, Matt Mahoney wrote:

What does the definition of intelligence have to do with AIXI?  AIXI is an
optimization problem.  The problem is to maximize an accumulated signal in an
unknown environment.  AIXI says the solution is to guess the simplest
explanation for past observation (Occam's razor), and that this solution is
not computable in general.  I believe these principles have broad
applicability to the design of machine learning algorithms, regardless of
whether you consider such algorithms intelligent.

Matt, you might want to consider that while Occam's Razor is indeed a
very beautiful and powerful principle, it is a heuristic directly
applicable only to those situations of "all else being equal" (or made
effectively so by means of infinite computing power.)

[Observant readers may notice than I'm being slightly tongue in cheek
here, drawing a parallel with a recent mismatch of expressed views on
the AGI  and Extropy lists regarding the elegance of the  Principle of
Indifference. The analogy is sublime.]

My point is that nature never directly applies the perfect principle.
Every problem posed to nature carries an implicit bias, and this is
enough to start nature down the path toward a satisficing heuristic.

While the Principle of Parsimony and the Principle of Indifference
play unattainably objective roles in our epistemology, you may want to
consider their subjective cousin, Max Entropy, as one of your star
players in any practical AI.

- Jef