I agree that, to compare humans versus AIXI on an IQ test in a fully fair way (that tests only intelligence rather than prior knowledge) would be hard, because there is no easy way to supply AIXI with the same initial knowledge state that the human has. Regarding whether AIXI, in order to solve an IQ test, would simulate the whole physical universe internally in order to simulate humans and thus figure out what a human would say for each question -- I really doubt it, actually. I am very close to certain that simulating a human is NOT the simplest possible way to create a software program scoring 100% on human-created IQ tests. So, the Occam prior embodied in AIXI would almost surely not cause it to take the strategy you suggest.
-- Ben

Richard Loosemore wrote:
Ben Goertzel wrote:

Sorry, but I simply do not accept that you can make "do really well on a long series of IQ tests" into a computable function without getting tangled up in an implicit homuncular trap (i.e. accidentally assuming some "real" intelligence in the computable function).

Let me put it this way: would AIXI, in building an implementation of this function, have to make use of a universe (or universe simulation) that *implicitly* included intelligences that were capable of creating the IQ tests?

So, if there were a question like this in the IQ tests:

"Anna Nicole is to Monica Lewinsky as Madonna is to ......"

Richard, perhaps your point is that IQ tests assume certain implicit background knowledge. I stated in my email that AIXI would equal any other intelligence starting with the same initial knowledge set.... So, your point is that IQ tests assume an initial knowledge set that is part and parcel of human culture.

No, that was not my point at all.

My point was much more subtle than that.

You claim that "AIXI would equal any other intelligence starting with the same initial knowledge set". I am focussing on the "initial knowledge set."

So let's compare me, as the other intelligence, with AIXI. What exactly is the "same initial knowledge set" that we are talking about here? Just the words I have heard and read in my lifetime? The words that I have heard, read AND spoken in my lifetime? The sum total of my sensory experiences, down at the neuron-firing level? The sum total of my sensory experiences AND my actions, down at the neuron firing level? All of the above, but also including the sum total of all my internal mental machinery, so as to relate the other fluxes of data in a coherent way? All of the above, but including all the cultural information that is stored out there in other minds, in my society? All of the above, but including simulations of all the related

Where, exactly, does AIXI draw the line when it tries to emulate my performance on the test?

(I picked that particular example of an IQ test question in order to highlight the way that some tests involve a huge amount of information that requires understanding other minds .. my goal being to force AIXI into having to go a long way to get its information).

And if it does not draw a clear line around what "same initial knowledge set" means, but the process is open ended, what is to stop the AIXI theorems from implictly assuming that AIXI, if it needs to, can simulate my brain and the brains of all the other humans, in its attempt to do the optimisation?

What I am asking (non-rhetorically) is a question about how far AIXI goes along that path. Do you know AIXI well enough to say? My understanding (poor though it is) is that it appears to allow itself the latitude to go that far if the optimization requires it.

If it *does* allow itself that option, it would be parasitic on human intelligence, because it would effectively be simulating one in order to deconstruct it and use its knowledge to answer the questions.

Can you say, definitively, that AIXI draws a clear line around the meaning of "same initial knowledge set," and does not allow itself the option of implicitly simulating entire human minds as part of its infinite computation?

Now, I do have a second line of argument in readiness, in case you can confirm that it really is strictly limited, but I don't think I need to use it. (In a nutshell, I would go on to say that if it does draw such a line, then I dispute that it really can be proved to perform as well as I do, because it redefines what "I" am trying to do in such a way as to weaken my performance, and then proves that it can perform better than *that*).

Richard Loosemore

http://v2.listbox.com/member/?list_id=11983