From: "Shane Legg" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

For sure.  Indeed my recent paper on whether there exists an elegant theory
of prediction tries to address that very problem. In short the paper says that if you want to convert something like Solomonoff induction or AIXI into a nice computable system... well you can't. Indeed my own work on building an intelligent machine is taking a neuro science inspired approach with just a few bits that are in some sense "inspired" by AIXI.

I think the value of AIXI is that it gives you a relatively simple set of
equations with which to mathematically study the properties of an ultra intelligent machine. In contrast something like Novamente can't be expressed in a one line equation. This makes it a much more difficult mathematical object to work with if you want to do theoretical analysis.

This would be the paper, everyone:
http://www.vetta.org/documents/IDSIA-12-06-1.pdf

Shane - first you smack down the Goedel machine, and now AIXI! Is it genuinely useless in practice, do you think? Hutter says one of his current research priorities
is to shrink it down into something that can run on existing machines...