Shane,

Thanks for the thoughtful response. If something like infinite computation
were feasible, I would agree with you that we should aim more at that than
intelligence. I personally do have a very theoretical bent, but that does
have its limits. :)

However, it appears that infinite computation is not feasible, certainly at
least not in the short- or medium-term. So, I think what we do is aim at
genuine intelligence instead. But now, *given* that our goal is genuine
intelligence, I think it is important for many purposes to distinguish
between genuine intelligence and infinite computation or Blockhead style
"intelligence."

I've only taken a very cursory look at the AIXI stuff so I didn't want to
talk in any detail about it, but from what I can gather at the moment, that
*might* be an example of where this distinction can be relevant. If someone
is claiming to be proving some abstract stuff about intelligence but they
are really just talking about infinite computation or Blockheadish stuff,
then it might be important to keep this distinction in mind and take any
claims made about the nature of genuine intelligence with a grain of salt.

To continue with your analogy: Yes, if something can actually get me from
point A to point B more safely and efficiently, then who cares if it
genuinely counts as flying, let's aim at that. Now, that might turn out to
be teletransportation rather than flying. So, if it's actually feasible in a
foreseeable way, by all means aim at that instead of flying.

But suppose it is not actually feasible. And suppose furthermore, someone
claims to be an aeuronautical engineer and to be proving important theorems
about the nature of flight. If it turns out that what he is talking about is
actually teletransportation, then I think that is an important distinction
to point out. In that case, I assume we would want to think carefully about
whether and to what extent what he proved about teletransportation would
carry over into important truths about the more feasible project of flight
that we are interested in right now.

I take it that is basically the complaint that Richard has been voicing.
Again, given that I don't know much at the moment about all this AIXI stuff,
I may want to remain agnostic about how this actually applies to this
particular case. What I'm prepared to defend at the moment is that in many
contexts, there are good reasons to insist on the distinction between
genuine intelligence and other (perhaps only theoretically) possible
mechanisms with the same functionality (infinite computation, Blockhead).
Teletransportation might theoretically be able to perform the same function
of getting me from point A to point B, but given that it appears to be
infeasible at the moment, what I'm interested in right now might be genuine
flight instead.

-Ku

http://www.umich.edu/~jsku

P.S. If it were feasible, I think I'd be with Ben on the aesthetic
qualities.