Sorry, but I simply do not accept that you can make "do really well on a long series of IQ tests" into a computable function without getting tangled up in an implicit homuncular trap (i.e. accidentally assuming some "real" intelligence in the computable function).

Let me put it this way: would AIXI, in building an implementation of this function, have to make use of a universe (or universe simulation) that *implicitly* included intelligences that were capable of creating the IQ tests?

So, if there were a question like this in the IQ tests:

"Anna Nicole is to Monica Lewinsky as Madonna is to ......"

Richard, perhaps your point is that IQ tests assume certain implicit background knowledge. I stated in my email that AIXI would equal any other intelligence starting with the same initial knowledge set.... So, your point is that IQ tests assume an initial knowledge set that is part and parcel of human culture.

One approach would be to use IQ tests that are purely formal and don't require specific cultural knowledge. Test that consist of logic puzzles, visual pattern recognition puzzles, etc. There are plenty of IQ test questions like this.

Another approach would be to utilize a form of IQ test that assumes the test-taker has access to a particular, standard subset of Wikipedia. The questions would then be engineered not to require specific factual knowledge about the world, aside from what's available in this subset of Wikipedia. This way, the initial knowledge base needed to answer the IQ questions could be specified as a certain series of bits, which could be fed to AIXI as part of its initial knowledge state.

So, I think my point still holds: "Do really well on a long series of IQ tests, given an appropriate file of background knowledge" is a goal that can be fit into the mathematical framework of AIXI. And the theorems show that AIXI will kick ass at achieving this goal.

Your only way to argue against this, consistently, would be to argue that there is no way to create an appropriate file of background knowledge to feed AIXI, because passing an IQ test relies on a body of knowledge that is intrinsically unformalizable, or at least incredibly difficult to formalize.

I really don't believe this is true, but refuting it would require detailed analysis of a long series of IQ questions, which sounds like a boring way to spend the rest of the afternoon...

-- Ben

Would AIXI have to build a solution by implicitly deconstructing (if you see what I mean) the entire real universe, including its real human societies and real (intelligent) human beings and real social relationships?

If AIXI does a post-hoc deconstruction of some "real" intelligent systems as part of building its own "intelligent" function, it is parasitic on that intelligence.

You can confirm that it is not parasitic in that way?

Richard Loosemore.

OTOH, Pei Wang has proposed that intelligence should be explicitly defined as something roughly like "achieving complex goals given limited resources" [not his exact wording]. In this case AIXI would not be considered intelligent.... But my view is that the natural language concept of intelligence actually is just about functionality rather than mechanisms. We say someone is smart because of the problems they can solve, not because of our understanding of how they go about solving the problems...

Anyway, the NL notion of "intelligence" is not necessarily any more intrinsically meaningful than the NL concepts of "cup" and "bowl".... It combines a bunch of deep ideas with some culturally relative and anthropomorphic stuff that is not so important...

The notion of intelligence embodied in AIXI is an interesting one, which things can be proved about.... I don't claim that it exhausts the interesting insights contained in the ambiguous and diverse NL concept of intelligence...

-- Ben G

http://v2.listbox.com/member/?list_id=11983