On 3/19/07, Ben Goertzel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

conservative incremental steps, the current scientific community
is highly culturally biased against anyone who wants to make
a large leap.  Science has drifted into a cultural configuration that
is obsessed with making incremental progress with a very small
increment size.

I don't think it's because science is against large leaps, the large leaps
are what everybody in science loves.  They (or perhaps I should say we)
want evidence, generally in the form of a proof or experimental results that
can be repeated.  Furthermore, the larger the leap the more impressive the
evidence has to be.  Thus, if somebody says that they can build a thinking
machine with general intelligence equal to that of a human but don't have
amazingly strong evidence, nobody much will pay attention.

On the other hand if someone can demonstrate a working system with human
level AGI, they will have no trouble in getting scientific attention and
respect.

Regarding artificial neural nets, it really does amaze me that basically
nobody working in this area knows enough about brains to even give a
decent ten minute talk on the subject.  I think it's very strange.

Shane