Kurzweil already postulated this a while ago. Although I don't agree with his
conclusions. He says that if any society were to attain the "singularity" then
their presence would already be felt, and since we can feel no presence then
essentially this proves that humans are the only sentient life forms in
EXISTENCE. I wholeheartedly disagree with Kurzweil's reasoning in this matter,
since he takes such a human perspective in regards to imagining an alien
technology. I think his stance is very presumptuous on his part. For instance
he assumes that we haven't felt their presence merely because there isn't
anything to detect. When in fact he never considered that human senses or
sciences may not be acute enough to detect them. He also assumes that these
creatures would conveinently leave their alien presence where ever they stepped
foot, although even we humans attempt to cover our presence when disturbing the
nesting grounds of rare animals. Also the concept of the singularity
 is thought of in human terms, in our solar system, with our prejudices. For
instance other galaxies are known to be denser in mass than ours, who knows
what kind of exotic conditions a lifeform could develop under? Singularity in
human terms appears to mean having computing power to calculate well...
everything. But the real question is what is "everything" to us? Put it into
terms of a tribesman meeting a city dweller, both are looking for "wealth" but
they are different things to the city dweller and tribesman. The city man would
probably want gold or currency, whereas the tribesman sees wealth as livestock
or medicinal herbs. Both are valuable, but in different ways to the two
cultures. Meeting a creature from this denser plane we could find out that the
common elements of the period table are used in much different ratios than here
on Earth. This could affect their whole rationale for forming a singularity, in
other words their concept of "everything" and "universe"
 itself may consist of layers of dimensions rather than just controlling what
they see - whatever that may be.