If I were an advanced life form, I wouldn't contact people like us.  I think
it may be possible that we are required to reach a certain level of progress
before such beings would make themselves known.

-Colin

On 4/25/07, Matt Mahoney <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

--- Samantha Atkins <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Jeff Rose wrote:
> > Matt Mahoney wrote:

> >> A technology this advanced could also reprogram your neurons to make
you
> >> believe whatever it wanted.  There is no way you could detect this.
> >
> > Although that might be the case for some technology of the future
> > (protein manipulating nano-bots), it seems that unless you want to
> > create a religion based on these kinds of beliefs you really can't go
> > very far with them.  What would the logic of being an advanced race
> > that hides itself from those it finds on other planets anyway?
> >
> My fantasy along these lines is that one or more species that safely got
> past Singularity, or their "mind children" attempted to free evolve
> intelligent species such as they once were.  The reasons were myriad,
> curiousity, a change to tweak some of the parameters to see if some
> things could have been different,  simply thinking at a deep enough
> level to be a de facto full simulation about what occurred for their
> species.   They don't show themselves because you can't show yourself to
> a historical simulation, memory, daydream or two an experiment with
> strict protocols.
>
> - samantha

Maybe we are unaware of the presence of an advanced intelligence, not
because
it is hiding, but because our minds are too weak to detect it.  The
bacteria
in your intestines are not aware of the existence of humans, but it is not
because you are hiding.

Why does the universe exist?

-- Matt Mahoney, [EMAIL PROTECTED]

http://v2.listbox.com/member/?&;