I posted some thoughts on that book when it first came out:

http://www.goertzel.org/dynapsyc/2004/OnBiologicalAndDigitalIntelligence.htm

Since that time I've had a chance to talk to some neuroscientists
about Hawkins' book and also to look at his team's publicly released code.

Some thoughts:

1) Most of his neuroscience hypotheses (given at the end of the book)
are plausible, but many are
not as original as he says, and are commonly known in the neuroscience
community already, though not phrased exactly as Hawkins has phrased them

2) While his neuroscience is plausible as far as it goes, it leaves out a
heck
of a lot, e.g. everything to do with the non-cortex parts of the brain, plus
everything to do with complex nonlinear dynamics in the cortex (see Walter
Freeman's work, e.g.)

3) His software work so far is quite simplistic and his team's code doesn't
really do
anything interesting yet.  Poggio's group has achieved far more impressive
computational vision results with a far more biologically faithful
computational
model.

Sooooo ... it's interesting and important stuff, but I can't escape the
conclusion that it's
gotten a bit of a media boost because of who Hawkins is ;-)

-- Ben G