To: <singularity@v2.listbox.com>
Sent: Saturday, April 28, 2007 6:23 AM
Subject: Re: [singularity] Why do you think your AGI design will work?

Mike Tintner wrote:
Hi,
I strongly disagree - there is a need to provide a definition of AGI - not necessarily the right or optimal definition, but one that poses concrete challenges and focusses the mind - even if it's only a starting-point. The reason the Turing Test has been such a successful/ popular idea is that it focusses the mind.

OK. A program is an AGI if it can do a high school kid's homework and get him good grades for 1 week (during which there aren't any pop-quizes, mid-terms, or other in-school and closed book exams.

That's not an optimal definition, but if you can handle essays and story problems and math and biology as expressed by a teacher, then you've got a pretty good AGI.

But the point is, a precise definition is useless. Turing's test was established so that (paraphrase)"If a program could do this, then you would have to agree that it was intelligent.", it wasn't intended as a practical test that some future program would pass. If we were to start passing laws about the rights and privileges of intelligent programs, then a "necessary & sufficient" test would be needed. To do development work it may be more of a handicap than an assist. (I.e., it would tend to focus effort on meeting the definition rather on where the program should logically next be developed.)

P.S.: I meant an arbitrary week. If it can only handle certain weeks, then it is clearly either not that intelligent, or has been poorly educated. (However, I have a rather lower opinion than many of the amount of intelligence exhibited by humans, tending more toward a belief that they operate largely on reflexes and evolved rather than chosen goals. Consider, e.g., the number of people not who start to believe in astrology, but rather who continue to believe in it for years. A simple examination of predictions will demonstrate that nothing significant was predicted in advance, but only explained afterwards. [OTOH, it *was* once useful for determining when to plant which crops.])