yes, but that's not precise enough.

you have to have a task example that focusses what is going on adaptively... you're not specifiying what kinds of essays/ maths etc

what challenge does the problem pose to the solver's existing rules for reaching a goal?
how does the solver adapt their rules to solve it?

the example must CRYSTALLISE/ DISSECT what the solver has to do...

here's an example that DOES do more of what I'm talking about - but still may only be
a stepping stone

solving a jigsaw problem...

that's a simple, but obvious adaptive problem - and requires obvious adaptive action...

to reach the goal (a united picture) you have to put the pieces together everywhich way... (jigsaw-solving grasps one of the essential adaptive features of the human/ animal mind - COMPOSITIONALITY - (I may be stretching the normal use of the term) - the capacity to put the pieces of a solution together in any order - the capacity to pack a suitcase, arrange a room, paint the elements of a scene, tell a story in any order)

you have flexible jigsaw rules... start with the outside bits / fit together obviously related shapes .. etc

jigsaws are a fairly basic example - because we quickly establish set rules for doing them - a more dramatic example highlighting the rule-breaking, rule-adjusting as well as the re-composing necessary to solve a problem, would be still better

try & think of some more examples...! -- there ARE solutions to the "beat the Turing Test" challenge...

P.S. COMPOSITIONALITY is EXTREMELY important - central to the brain's adaptive capacity

Compositionality flows, I think, from having a mobile body in a mobile world... if you have a nervous system, that controls a complex set of body parts, then you can combine those body parts and their movements in any order... you can and will scan a scene in many different patterns... you will twitch and twist your body msucles in different orders/ dances... it's natural, you'll do it with or without a problem to solve...

and thence you have the essential capacity to rearrange the paths/ routes you take to any goal - and find ways round any obstacles...

(Still thinking aloud here)

----- Original Message ----- From: "Charles D Hixson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>