On 6/22/07, Charles D Hixson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Dividing things into us vs. them, and calling those that side with us
friendly seems to be instinctually human, but I don't think that it's a
universal.  Even then, we are likely to ignore birds, ants that are
outside, and other things that don't really get in our way.  An AI with

We ignore them, alright. Especially when it comes to building real
estate over some anthills.

People often seem to bring up AIs not being directly hostile to us,
but for some reason they forget that indifference is just as bad. Like
Eliezer said - "The AI does not hate you, nor does it love you, but
you are made out of atoms which it can use for something else."

While there obviously is a possibility that an AI would choose to
leave Earth and go spend time somewhere else, it doesn't sound all
that likely. For one, there's a lot of ready-to-use infrastructure
around here - most AIs without explict Friendliness goals would
probably want to grab that for their own use.

--
http://www.saunalahti.fi/~tspro1/ | http://xuenay.livejournal.com/

Organizations worth your time:
http://www.singinst.org/ | http://www.crnano.org/ | http://lifeboat.com/