--- Randall Randall <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> On Jun 28, 2007, at 5:18 PM, Tom McCabe wrote:
> > How do you get the "50% chance"? There is a 100%
> > chance of a mind waking up who has been uploaded,
> and
> > also a 100% chance of a mind waking up who hasn't.
> > This doesn't violate the laws of probability
> because
> > these aren't mutually exclusive. Asking which one
> "was
> > you" is silly, because we're assuming they're
> > completely identical at the instant they wake up;
> > they're both you. This is apparently something
> that
> > needs a lot of explaining; consciousness is not a
> > conserved quantity. If there was some magicky
> > consciousness "stuff" that either was uploaded or
> not
> > uploaded, then sure, you could talk about a 50%
> > probability of the upload being successful. But if
> we
> > define "successful" as "you wake up uploaded", and
> > "failure" as "you wake up not uploaded", then
> there is
> > a 100% (assuming the process always works
> technically)
> > probability of success and a 100% probability of
> > failure. Both possibilities refer to the *same
> > process*, to the exact same series of atoms
> getting
> > juggled back and forth. I recognize that this is
> > really confusing, but it seems to match what would
> > happen if you actually tried it.
>
> Your "100%" is half of the total, which means you've
> just relabeled "50%" as "100%", and claiming that it
> means something that has to be explained.  That
> isn't
> the case; it's just a label.

"100%" and "50%" are probabilities; they're physical
quantities. Saying that event A and event B both have
probabilities of 100% doesn't mean that they're
mutually exclusive and so we have to renormalize each
of their probabilities to 50%; it means that they're
both certain to occur. If I have a theory in which n
always equals 5, and you respond with an argument that
n should equal 6, as long as you're talking about the
same n, it's a different theory- not just a relabeling
of the old theory. If I argued that Planck's constant
was actually zero, I wouldn't simply be "relabeling"
6.63e-34 as 0; I would be claiming that a huge number
of experimental results actually pointed to the
theories of classical electromagnetism, in
contradiction of what everyone else thinks.

> In half the cases of an individual (a copy, an
> instance,
> or a process -- call it whatever you will) waking
> up,
> the individual will be uploaded.  In half of such
> cases,
> they won't be.

Yes, but this isn't what we mean by "probability".
Suppose that today there's a 100% chance of rain, and
tomorrow there's a 100% chance of snow. In half the
instances of precipitation, it's rain, and in the
other half, it's snow. Yet the probability of both is
still 100%, not 50%.

> I assume that you're correct that there's no
> "magicky
> consciousness stuff", which is why no one should
> expect to wake up simultaneously experiencing both
> outcomes at the same time.  I would expect that even
> those who are pattern identity adherents will agree
> that each copy will experience only his or her own
> existence.

Agreed.

http://v2.listbox.com/member/?&;