On 02/07/07, Tom McCabe <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Are you suggesting that the AI won't be smart enough
> to understand
> what people mean when they ask for a banana?

It's not a question of intelligence- it's a question
of selecting a human-friendly target in a huge space
of possibilities. Why should the AGI care what you
"meant"? You asked for a banana, and you got a banana,
so what's the problem?

As proof of concept, we have humans who understand what other humans
mean when they say things. This involves knowledge of language and an
intuitive understanding of human psychology, allowing you to pick a
few meanings out of the vast space of possible meanings. You and I do
this very easily, many times a day. Why should it be more difficult
for an AI, especially a superintelligent AGI, to achieve the same
level of undestanding?

What? Why would an AGI whose goals are chosen
completely at random even bother with
self-replication? Self-replication is a rather
unlikely thing for an AGI to do; the series of actions
required to self-replicate are complex enough to make
it very unlikely that an AGI will do them just by
sheer chance.

I agree, but those who think AI's will evolve to destroy us consider
the possibility that a rapacious, malevolent AI will somehow arise
(whether by accident or design) and have a competitive advantage over
the tame ones.

--
Stathis Papaioannou