--- Quasar Strider <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On 9/7/07, Tom McCabe <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote:
> >

> > --- Quasar Strider <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote:
> >
> > If you want to build a spacecraft, you cannot
> simply
> > put lots and lots of chimpanzee engineers to work
> on
> > the problem. A single smart guy- eg., Einstein,
> > Newton, Hawking- can advance science more than a
> > thousand dumb guys, and that's just within the
> human
> > species.
>

> Hah! I take your Einstein and raise you a Max
> Planck!
>
> *A new scientific truth does not triumph by
> convincing its opponents and
> making them see the light, but rather because its
> opponents eventually die,
> and a new generation grows up that is familiar with
> it.*

An out-of-context quote does not magically overrule
three historical examples. And I can easily provide
more: Darwin, Galileo, Copernicus, Kepler, Mendeleev,
etc.

> Until we stop hoarding academic seats and start some
> crop rotation,
> immortality is a problem, not a bonus. I believe we
> should have a mandate
> limit, like politicians.

Even if you argue that immortality is bad, surely you
agree that killing someone instantly with a gun is
more humane than letting them rot for years in a
hospital, sometimes in extreme pain, knowing they're
going to die. Therefore, if you assume immortality is
bad, we should still get rid of aging; we just need to
round up all the old people and machine-gun them.

> > Instead we do the
> > > opposite: we decrease the
> > > birth rate and increase the gestation time.
> >
> > And look at how we have prospered, compared to the
> > last ten millenia! The past few hundred years are
> > strong evidence that a single trained worker can
> be
> > much more productive than ten untrained workers.
>

> Agreed. But who says we cannot have ten trained
> workers?

Human neural capacity is limited by the size of the
birth canal. You can enhance a computer pretty much
indefinitely, until you run up against the laws of QM
(which we are far from doing). You cannot train a
worker indefinitely; the best athletes, poets, etc.
today have roughly the same skills as the best of
ancient Greece. The mean has increased, not the upper
bound.

> Who says we cannot
> use computers and networks to train people? That is,
> if the biosphere can
> withstand it. It probably cannot.

What on Earth does the biosphere have to do with
training people using computers? I'm mostly
self-trained with computers, and my negative impact on
the biosphere is probably less than most of the people
on this list.

> I agree that we waste most of our money, but some
> > level of investment is necessary in order to
> produce
> > future returns. If hunter-gatherers didn't exert a
> lot
> > of effort, wasting valuable nuts and berries, to
> learn
> > agriculture, we would not be here today.
>

> Agreed. Hindsight is 20-20.
>
> > There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch. We all
> > > need to eat and drink.
> > > Food requires energy to grow. Water can be made
> with
> > > energy. E = mc2.
> >
> > There is more than enough energy for everything
> modern
> > civilization could possibly want to do. What's
> your
> > point here?
>

> My point is, I believe we are not protected from a
> mass extinction event.
> What if the atmosphere just vanished in an instant
> or the Sun decided to
> peter out?
> What the heck happened to the dinosaurs?

Agreed! To learn more about mass extinction and how we
can prevent it, see http://www.lifeboat.com.

> Yes, but these are not high-quality connections;
> > human-to-human communication bandwidth is around
> 300
> > baud (at most). Would you be satisfied with a
> > "connection" to the Internet that ran at 300 baud?
>

> I suspect the human eyesight and hearing limit is
> over 300 baud.

Input isn't the problem, it's output. Well, actually,
it's output and our ability to process input; our
brain can't simply dump incoming data into a storage
cell for further use, so it must be analyzed in real
time, which cuts down dramatically on the amount of
information we can actually pict up.

> Even speaking is more than it seems. We communicate
> by both gesture and
> speech.

I took this into account.

> Speech intonation is important to transmit our mood.

Mood is like a four-byte header at the start of a
conversation; it usually doesn't change much
throughout. If you were running an Internet company,
would you proudly boast "We can transmit a four-byte
header at the start of every packet!" as evidence of
your speed and quality?

> I suspect we moderate
> our speech
> to increase redundancy over noisy channels and
> adjust speaking to the
> listener.

Yes, we do. The fact that speech is noisy, and
therefore requires redundancy, is a minus, not a plus.

> In the Internet we compensate with emoticons.
>
> Nuclear/solar. We have the solutions, we just don't
> > implement them.
>

> Agreed. So what is stopping us? Other than a thermal
> meltdown.

See http://www.acceleratingfuture.com/tom/?p=41.
Energy sources are a popular political problem.

> The mythology surrounding St. Nicholas dates back to
> > the fifth century, considerably predating the
> > Coca-Cola corporation.
>

> Yeah, but the Norse believed children who gave Odin
> presents were
> compensated with presents in return.
> It was not presents to satisfy a spoiled brat. It
> was presents for being
> well behaved.

I think we're getting off-topic...

> > People, we will be reinventing the square wheel by
> > > creating human level AI.
> >
> > Human-level AI is as absurd as a bird-level
> airplane.
> > Once an AI can do everything a human can do, it
> will
> > need to be able to do a great many things (such as
> > programming) much faster than any human can do
> them.
> > See http://www.acceleratingfuture.com/tom/?p=7.
>

> Great, we just rendered ourselves obsolete in the
> purpose.
> Guess what, there already is self-reprogramming AI.
> It is called a
> self-modifying computer virus:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computer_virus#Polymorphic_code

This does not alter the algorithms; it just alters the
file's hash. It's the first sentence on
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polymorphic_code, for
Belldandy's sake. I'm talking about code that can
alter its own algorithms in an intelligent manner.

http://www.singinst.org/upload/CFAI.html#anthro_anthropomorphic.

> > > I believe the AI field should focus on aids for
> > > people. The AI equivalent of
> > > guide dogs, carrier pigeons, and horses. If we
> write
> > > our own replacement,
> > > our own upgrade, we should not be surprised when
> we
> > > wake up one day to find
> > > out we are obsolete and are facing maximum
> deletion.
> >
> > In terms of clothing manufacturing, we have
> already
> > been obsolete for three hundred years. Mechanical
> > equipment is much better at producing textiles
> than a
> > human could ever be. And yet the textile machines
> have
> > not attempted to get rid of us. If you predicted
> that
> > the factory robots at GM would rise up and
> overthrow
> > us as obsolete, you would get laughed at. Yet
> you're
> > making the same prediction for a general
> artificial
> > intelligence, are you not?
> >
> > > Remember Alan Turing died from suicide with a
> > > cyanide laced apple. He was
> > > homosexual and committed suicide after being
> forced
> > > by the state to behave

=== message truncated ===

 - Tom