On 9/8/07, Tom McCabe <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> --- Quasar Strider <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> An out-of-context quote does not magically overrule
> three historical examples. And I can easily provide
> more: Darwin, Galileo, Copernicus, Kepler, Mendeleev,
> etc.

Please read some more about Plank.
He tried to fight against Hitler from within the establishment and all he
got for himself were some dead sons and a ton of grief.

Plank was the opposite of most scientists. He did his most notable
discoveries at a rather old age.
He is one of the reasons we have lasers and quantum theory today.

Galileo was sent to a monastery, while saying, "but it moves!" I believe.

Darwin was a laughing stock at the time:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Darwin_ape.jpg

I will grant you Copernicus. He was pretty smooth.

> Until we stop hoarding academic seats and start some
> > crop rotation,
> > immortality is a problem, not a bonus. I believe we
> > should have a mandate
> > limit, like politicians.
>
> Even if you argue that immortality is bad, surely you
> agree that killing someone instantly with a gun is
> more humane than letting them rot for years in a
> hospital, sometimes in extreme pain, knowing they're
> going to die. Therefore, if you assume immortality is
> bad, we should still get rid of aging; we just need to
> round up all the old people and machine-gun them.

Geez, I said mandate limit, not Stalinesque culling.
Say, I have a maximum term limit of 20 years (a generation) at working in
that profession.

If I cannot do anything major, it is probably because I was not actually
that good at it.
Perhaps it is time I learn something else. So I learn something else for 20
more years, before going back
to the same profession. 20 is just a number. It could be 40. Let's say 40.

What is the fun of doing the same thing for 40 years in a row? I certainly
hope we have more interests
than that.

If we can manage do that, I see no problem with even immortality, although I
see little point in creating a living fossil race of immortals tired of
blabbing with each other like the old men from the Muppet Show. I sometimes
feel like I am one of those old men from the Muppet Show. There. I just had
another mid-life crisis. Just after my 6 or 7 previous ones. Like each time
I changed schools, or the first time I shaved my beard.

Human neural capacity is limited by the size of the
> birth canal. You can enhance a computer pretty much
> indefinitely, until you run up against the laws of QM
> (which we are far from doing). You cannot train a
> worker indefinitely; the best athletes, poets, etc.
> today have roughly the same skills as the best of
> ancient Greece. The mean has increased, not the upper
> bound.

Yes but the books are getting better. I believe the Greeks mostly teached
using dialetics.
I am not dead set against enabling people to improve their bodies. I just
see little point in most of the things being bandied about as advantages. In
fact, I believe we are still a bit off from the Greek pinnacle. I suspect we
are weaker than they were at the time.

> My point is, I believe we are not protected from a
> > mass extinction event.
> > What if the atmosphere just vanished in an instant
> > or the Sun decided to
> > peter out?
> > What the heck happened to the dinosaurs?
>
> Agreed! To learn more about mass extinction and how we
> can prevent it, see http://www.lifeboat.com.
>
> Input isn't the problem, it's output. Well, actually,
> it's output and our ability to process input; our
> brain can't simply dump incoming data into a storage
> cell for further use, so it must be analyzed in real
> time, which cuts down dramatically on the amount of
> information we can actually pict up.

In other words, we have a phishing and spamming filter built in, which kicks
in when we are overloaded.
Autistic children do not. So they communicate by squeaks.

This does not alter the algorithms; it just alters the
> file's hash. It's the first sentence on
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polymorphic_code, for
> Belldandy's sake. I'm talking about code that can
> alter its own algorithms in an intelligent manner.

Ok, you got me on that one, genetic algorithms with self-modifying code it
is then.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Self-modifying_code
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genetic_algorithm

The fitness criteria can be replication speed. So we can spam the world.

Who is Belldandy?

:-)