--- Quasar Strider <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On 9/8/07, Tom McCabe <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote:
> >

> > --- Quasar Strider <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote:
> >
> > An out-of-context quote does not magically
> overrule
> > three historical examples. And I can easily
> provide
> > more: Darwin, Galileo, Copernicus, Kepler,
> Mendeleev,
> > etc.
>

> Please read some more about Plank.
> He tried to fight against Hitler from within the
> establishment and all he
> got for himself were some dead sons and a ton of
> grief.
>
> Plank was the opposite of most scientists. He did
> his most notable
> discoveries at a rather old age.
> He is one of the reasons we have lasers and quantum
> theory today.
>
> Galileo was sent to a monastery, while saying, "but
> it moves!" I believe.
>
> Darwin was a laughing stock at the time:
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Darwin_ape.jpg
>
> I will grant you Copernicus. He was pretty smooth.

That's not the point. All of them discovered important
scientific principles where hundreds of other people
had failed.

> > Until we stop hoarding academic seats and start
> some
> > > crop rotation,
> > > immortality is a problem, not a bonus. I believe
> we
> > > should have a mandate
> > > limit, like politicians.
> >
> > Even if you argue that immortality is bad, surely
> you
> > agree that killing someone instantly with a gun is
> > more humane than letting them rot for years in a
> > hospital, sometimes in extreme pain, knowing
> they're
> > going to die. Therefore, if you assume immortality
> is
> > bad, we should still get rid of aging; we just
> need to
> > round up all the old people and machine-gun them.
>

> Geez, I said mandate limit, not Stalinesque culling.
> Say, I have a maximum term limit of 20 years (a
> generation) at working in
> that profession.

Oh, okay. Please be more specific. :)

> If I cannot do anything major, it is probably
> because I was not actually
> that good at it.
> Perhaps it is time I learn something else. So I
> learn something else for 20
> more years, before going back
> to the same profession. 20 is just a number. It
> could be 40. Let's say 40.
>
> What is the fun of doing the same thing for 40 years
> in a row? I certainly
> hope we have more interests
> than that.
>
> If we can manage do that, I see no problem with even
> immortality, although I
> see little point in creating a living fossil race of
> immortals tired of
> blabbing with each other like the old men from the
> Muppet Show.

The world already has enough in it to keep us occupied
for thousands of years to come.

> I sometimes
> feel like I am one of those old men from the Muppet
> Show. There. I just had
> another mid-life crisis. Just after my 6 or 7
> previous ones. Like each time
> I changed schools, or the first time I shaved my
> beard.
>
> Human neural capacity is limited by the size of the
> > birth canal. You can enhance a computer pretty
> much
> > indefinitely, until you run up against the laws of
> QM
> > (which we are far from doing). You cannot train a
> > worker indefinitely; the best athletes, poets,
> etc.
> > today have roughly the same skills as the best of
> > ancient Greece. The mean has increased, not the
> upper
> > bound.
>

> Yes but the books are getting better. I believe the
> Greeks mostly teached
> using dialetics.
> I am not dead set against enabling people to improve
> their bodies. I just
> see little point in most of the things being bandied
> about as advantages. In
> fact, I believe we are still a bit off from the
> Greek pinnacle. I suspect we
> are weaker than they were at the time.
>
> > My point is, I believe we are not protected from a
> > > mass extinction event.
> > > What if the atmosphere just vanished in an
> instant
> > > or the Sun decided to
> > > peter out?
> > > What the heck happened to the dinosaurs?
> >
> > Agreed! To learn more about mass extinction and
> how we
> > can prevent it, see http://www.lifeboat.com.
> >
> > Input isn't the problem, it's output. Well,
> actually,
> > it's output and our ability to process input; our
> > brain can't simply dump incoming data into a
> storage
> > cell for further use, so it must be analyzed in
> real
> > time, which cuts down dramatically on the amount
> of
> > information we can actually pict up.
>

> In other words, we have a phishing and spamming
> filter built in, which kicks
> in when we are overloaded.
> Autistic children do not. So they communicate by
> squeaks.

This is not the same thing. If I show you one page of
a book, you can see all the words, all at once. But
you can't just take a mental snapshot of it, go on to
the next page, and analyze it later; you have to read
it in real time.

> This does not alter the algorithms; it just alters
> the
> > file's hash. It's the first sentence on
> > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polymorphic_code, for
> > Belldandy's sake. I'm talking about code that can
> > alter its own algorithms in an intelligent manner.
>

> Ok, you got me on that one, genetic algorithms with
> self-modifying code it
> is then.
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Self-modifying_code
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genetic_algorithm
>
> The fitness criteria can be replication speed. So we
> can spam the world.

There is presumably a good reason why there are no
self-modifying viruses.

http://justfuckinggoogleit.com/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Belldandy

> -----