On 10/22/07, Matt Mahoney <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Evolution favors animals with good learning algorithms.  In humans we
> associate these properties with consciousness and free will.  These beliefs
> are instinctive.  You cannot reason logically about them.  In particular, you
> cannot ask if a machine or animal or another person is conscious.  (Does
> it really feel pain, or only respond to pain?)  You can only ask about its
> behavior.

Currently we can't really tell a conscious entity from one that is
just very good at mimicking the behaviour of conscious entities, but I
think it is wrong to assume that we will *never* be able to tell these
things apart. It's conceivable that consciousness will one day be a
very thoroughly understood physical phenomenon, and that it will be
trivial to tell whether a system is conscious or not.

--
Aleksei Riikonen - http://www.iki.fi/aleksei