I came across an old Discover magazine this morning with yet another article by
Lanier on his rainstorm thought experiment. After reading the article it
occurred to me that what he is saying may be equivalent to:

Imagine a sufficiently large computer that works according to the architecture
of our ordinary PC's. In the space of Operating Systems (code interpreters), we
can find an operating system such that it will run the input from the rainstorm
such that it appears identical to a computer running a brain.

If this is true, then functionalism is not affected since we must not forget to
combine program + OS. Thus the rainstorm by itself has no emergent properties.

Eric B. Ramsay