On 24/02/2008, Joshua Fox <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Eric B. Ramsay wrote:
>  > Imagine a sufficiently large computer that works according to the
> architecture of our ordinary
>  > PC's. In the space of Operating Systems (code interpreters), we can
>  > find an operating  system such that it will run the input from the
> rainstorm such that it appears identical to a computer running a brain
>

> To "find" this operating system with reasonable resources would
>  require intelligence  -- the exact intelligence which Lanier is
>  looking for but failing to identify.

Yes it would require intelligence to "find" it, but your mental state
is not contingent on someone else "finding" it. Nor is this an
argument against functionalism.

Consider Arithmetical Functionalism: the theory that a calculation is
multiply realisable, in any device that has the right functional
organisation. But this might mean that somewhere in the vastness of
the universe, a calculation such as 2 + 2 = 4 might be being
implemented purely by chance: in the causal relationship between atoms
in an interstellar gas cloud, for example. This is clearly ridiculous,
so *either* Arithmetical Functionalism is false *or* it is impossible
that a calculation will be implemented accidentally. Right?

--
Stathis Papaioannou