Hello,

According to RFC 4733 which obsoletes RFC 2833, line events are
deprecated (RFC 4733, pg 47). I agree preferring SIP for PSTN - VoIP
bridging, especially for the cases where line events to be handled. A
good reason for preferring SIP could be that line events are generally
needed for establishment purposes (which is handled with SIP) before
RTP and RFCs 2833 and 4733 are defined to carry signaling data via
RTP.

Section 21of RFC 3261 could be referred for an appropriate mapping of
SIT to a SIP response code.

On 8/7/07, Bayan Towfiq <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hari,
> Yes, an example of where a SIT tone is used on the PSTN would be when
> the caller has dialed a bad or non-existing number.
> The SIT tone is generally played on the PSTN before a failure
> announcement.
>
> ITU recommendation E.182 defines tones that should be heard by the
> caller in various situations the PSTN.
>
> I've also pasted an excerpt of RFC 2833 for you about SIT:
>
> 3.12 Line Events
>     ITU Recommendation E.182 [13] defines when certain tones should be
>     used. It defines the following standard tones that are heard by the
>     caller:

>        Special information tone: The callee cannot be reached, but the
>             reason is neither "busy" nor "congestion". This tone should
>             be used before all call failure announcements, for the
>             benefit of automatic equipment.
>
> When bridging between SIP and the PSTN you may want to use SIP
> response codes for certain errors to trigger recordings that start
> with SIT tones to be played to PSTN callers.
>
> Bayan Towfiq
>
> On Aug 8, 2007, at 12:31 AM, Hari Vuppaladhadiam wrote:
>
> > Hi
> >   I wanted to understand when is SIT (Special Information Tone)
> > played?
> > Is this the error tone for  BAd/Non-Existing number?
> > Can anyone point me to relevant RFC?
> >
> > Regards
> > Hari

M u r at  A r t u n, MSc.
   Design Engineer

"be conservative in what you do, be liberal in what you accept from others"