karthik,

B2BUA is a very general mechanism that may be used for a multitude of
purposes, some good, some evil.

Some things that are B2BUAs that you might not think of as such:
- a conference focus
- a presence server

The kind of B2BUA you seem to be talking about is probably an SBC, or
maybe a sip-pbx implemented as a B2BUA.

The SBC is typically there explicitly to interfere in / obfuscate the
signaling.

Sip pbxs are often implemented as B2BUAs because it gives a lot of
flexibility to the controller in the middle to handle the call "legs"
independently. Its often easier to deal with "dumb" phones that way.

In some cases a device that might otherwise be just a proxy must be a
B2BUA instead because it wants the option to inject messages into the
message stream between the two ends. For instance it may want to force
the termination of a call by sending BYE. A proxy cannot do that.