There are a few uses that I know of:

1) to forcibly *unregister* a device. For instance, you have a device
    registered from work, and then you go home without turning it off.
    From another suitable device at home you can unregister the device
    at work. Of course you may have to keep doing it each time it
    refreshes its registration. And you can get into a real battle if
    it subscribes to the reg event package and so discovers when it has
    been unregistered, and immediately reregisters.

2) You can use a registration to accomplish forwarding. For instance,
    Bob's UA could register Alice's AOR as a Contact on his own AOR,
    either in addition to his own phone, or instead.