This special treatment for "call waiting" has always baffled me.
It seems to be rooted in the telco partitioning of services rather than
on any fundamental difference.

Specifically, from a caller perspective, how is a call handled via "call
waiting" at the callee any different from the call ringing on a phone
with two lines where the other line is in use? Why should the caller get
a special signal in one case and not in the other case?

AFAICT, from the caller perspective this is just a "this callee may take
an unusually long time to answer the call" indicator, and callees ought
to be able to make their own decision about when to specify it.