On Tue, Oct 12, 2010 at 4:06 PM, Alex Balashov
<abalas...@evaristesys.com> wrote:
> On 10/12/2010 12:15 PM, Iñaki Baz Castillo wrote:
>
>> Second paragraph of Section 18.1.1 of RFC 3261:
>>
>> -------------------------
>> If a request is within 200 bytes of the path MTU, or if it is larger
>> than 1300 bytes and the path MTU is unknown, the request MUST be sent
>> using an RFC 2914 [43] congestion controlled transport protocol, such
>> as TCP.
>> -------------------------
>>
>> IMHO this is an exotic specification. What about if the
>> proxy/registart has to route a long request to a user registered in a
>> UDP location? should the proxy try TCP? to which port? what about NAT?
>> So this is a so exotic "feature" that I strongly understand everybody
>> ignores it [*].
>
> Strongly agreed.
>
> This is one of the most batshit inane, idiotic requirements I have
> ever seen, and it should be rightly ignored by everyone in light of
> the realities of today's Internet.

 MTU discovery using ICMP can give you the maximum size of UDP packet.

Usually it is simpler to implement the following strategy:

- If the message is below 64K, send the message using UDP.
- If the UDP transaction times out, try TCP transport.

The SIP protocol requires that both UDP and TCP be supported for the
port where the stack is listening.

> UDP is designed to be able to transport up to 65535 bytes of payload,

On a LAN that is generally true. On a WAN that is not necessarily true.

> and that is what a protocol using UDP as a transport should allow.
> All SIP UDP endpoints and ALGs should support IP/UDP reassembly,
> without question.  Mandating use of TCP in this situation is simply
> not realistic, especially when so many otherwise mainstream and
> well-heeled, stable SIP stacks don't support it (for example,
> Asterisk, many softphones, etc.).

They *should* support TCP.

Mandating IP/UDP reassembly is less realistic than requiring that
endpoints support UDP and TCP.

> --
> Alex Balashov - Principal
> Evariste Systems LLC