Here are the three advantages I've seen to using the new FreeSWITCH voicemail system over the old one so far:
  • Better Performance
  • IMAP integration
  • HD Audio
Are there other functional advantages to the new voicemail system? Will it have shiny new things no one has talked about yet?

What would be nice is if it had an "on call" pager feature so that a notification number could be set so when a new voicemail is received someone is notified via phone or pager. I currently implement this in Asterisk with the old style (current) sipX voicemail system and check the voicemail folder on the hard disk every 10 seconds. It's a bit of a kludge but it's stable so far and it would be nice if I didn't have to rewrite it for the new voicemail system (IMAP checking in Python....sounds nasty).

Also, will there be an easy way in 4.2 to migrate users voicemails/greetings to IMAP or will they have to "start fresh" and redo everything?

When the 4.2 upgrade is performed, will everyone be migrated to the new voicemail system automatically or will it be a manual process with some users on the old and new at the same time?

Just trying to get my 4.2 migration planning and testing phase started and I would like to have the best information possible to begin with.

Thanks.