That is as far as I made it. I stopped when Scott Lawrence wrote the part below. I'm just going to deal with the error messages until 4.2 I think. I'm out of time to to tinker with it.

http://list.sipfoundry.org/archive/sipx-users/msg20684.html

"You need to install the certificate chain for the authority that issued
your SSL cert.  The fact that there's no easy way to do this is one of
the problems with using external certificates in 4.0.

You can try this... get the certificate (or certificates... if the CA
uses a chain, you need them all) from the CA in PEM format.

Copy the certificates into the directory /etc/sipxpbx/ssl/authorities,
and then run /usr/bin/ssl-cert/ca_rehash and restart your sipXecs
processes.

Warning: this feature is buggy.  This may make things worse.  If you
need a reliable system, go back to the internal certs and wait for 4.2"