On Mon, 2010-01-18 at 11:00 -0500, Jeff Gilmore wrote:
> I tried doing it all through the web GUI) after first changing the
> underlying /usr/bin/ssl-cert/gen-ssl-keys.sh script (which I assume
> gets called by the web GUI) so that it will generate a 2048 byte key,
> since GoDaddy and other CAs are now requiring longer keys.
>
> It did seem to generate a longer CSR, so that change appeared to take.
> However, the problems stated in my last message still remain.
>
> Developers, any ideas what might be the problem?  Could the longer key
> length be interfering with the way that the different processes
> communicate with each other?

The longer key length itself is not likely the problem.

> If you go to System/Servers and look at the list of sipx processes,
> they all appear as Status: Undefined.  I think that some of the
> processes are either not starting or unable to communicate with the
> config server (I restarted the whole server to be sure, but that made
> no difference).

This probably just means that sipXconfig can't talk to the supervisor,
which would be true if the SSL key/certificate infrastructure is messed
up.

> Any suggestions of where to go from here?  My thought is to try what
> Tony said worked for him (doing it all through the web GUI) with one
> modification--first changing the
> underlying /usr/bin/ssl-cert/gen-ssl-keys.sh script (which I assume
> gets called by the web GUI) so that it will generate a 2048 byte key,
> since GoDaddy and other CAs are now requiring longer keys.
>
> If that doesn't work, I'm ready to give up on a real certificate, and
> would just go back to self-signing.

That seems like a reasonable plan of action.

Frankly, I wouldn't invest much in getting externally generated keys
working in a 4.0 system.  There turn out to be many potential pitfalls,
and it's clear that feature really wasn't ready for prime time.  We're
investing a fair amount of effort in this for 4.2...