The only way you're going to get truly human sounding voices is when a
human records them. Any text to speech voice is going to require some
tweaking to sound human. The AT&T voices may have been a bad example,
I'm sure there are better ones out there. Download a demo of cepstral
and play with the voices. They can be made to sound pretty good.

Josh Patten
Assistant Network Administrator
Brazos County IT Dept.
(979) 361-4676