Dial in when you want to hit a live attendant during the day but roll to
an Auto Attendant at night.

Dial in when you want to ring a hunt group (can't put a DID on a hunt
group).

Controlling whether to ring to an ACD for a particular time of day or
roll somewhere else.

I also use them for ringing in on a line appearance that I want on
several different phones (which works great now in 4.2 with polycom
3.2.3 firmware btw).  Guess that really wouldn't be a 'phantom' as that
line is registered to several phones.

I basically use them for almost any schedule based internal routing.
This really could be fixed if the AA allowed routing to a user or hunt
group during the day and if hunt groups could also have aliases on them
(I think you'll need to do conferences also because there's no DID
capability there).

Mike