not pretty, but works.
installed postfix and switch-mail so I could redirect the email to a local (on sipx) account without changing the headers used procmailrc (already installed) to collect the headers and then call the script.
installed lame to convert wav to mp3 (rpm), some might want to use sox (yum)
installed ripmime to pull the original email apart. (rpm)
installed mutt to put them back together. (yum)

if you don't understand any of this, don't try it, dont email me, don't ask. (don't try this at home!)

once you do the above, email me and I'll send you the scripts.
looks like I can get about a 75% to 90% reduction in the size of the attachment, sometimes.

mutt does a nasty job of putting these back together, but they are usable.

(yes, I like to do things the hard way. I have 48 cisco 7960 phones working on sipx. all except remote, but I did buy a second polycom phone to try it)

--
Michael Scheidell, CTO
o: 561-999-5000
> *| *SECNAP Network Security Corporation

   * Certified SNORT Integrator
   * Best in Email Security,2010: Network Products Guide
   * King of Spam Filters, SC Magazine 2008