On Fri, Aug 13, 2010 at 12:52 PM, Matthew Kitchin (Public)
<mkitchin.pub...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I don't mind a forum as well, but I don't want to lose the ability to
> interact by mailing list too. There are plenty of lists I interact with that
> let email and forum integrate perfectly. I personally prefer email. I spend
> as much time on a blackberry as I do on a computer.

+1 for email.  I dislike forums, their slow, kludgy. You have to sign
in to post, I never know the password, it's always a pain. Yes I
understand that if your posting regularly you stay signed in or cache
passwords. But that's not me :)  I think more people are apt to
respond from their email client b/c it's faster and easier.  I
generally do not participate in forums, but my gmail account probably
has 30+ mailing lists.  Some in digest form for things that are not as
important as they used to be. and some that I see every message.
Generally I can scan subjects and or emails and decide to
archive/respond or not.  Google's advanced search with searching a URL
seems to work well when you know the mailing list.  Plus there are
always sites like http://marc.info that index lists well.   I don't
like the way we setup our mailing list, with the HTML archives, I
guess I understand the benefits. But to me nothing wrong with the
regular mailman archives.  Maybe I'm just so used to mailman archives
that they don't bother me.  But I've seen a forum yet that made me
want to participate let alone admin.  How many security advisories
have things like phpBB had.  And yes I've deployed phpBB and Simple
Machines, and still don't like them.  But hey everyone is different
right?  I'm all for improving things, as long as it's not a step
backwards....

Matt P.