I disagree.

I'm a general contractor, Mike.  My day-in, day-out stuff is
implementing the EPAs new Lead Safe law on my job sites, selling
restoration services, renovating clients kitchens and bathrooms, making
sure I'm in compliance with federal and local laws, managing accounting
for my business and the like.  I've got enough stuff on my plate that I
wouldn't go to a forum unless I needed help.

With a list, SipX stays in front of me.  I skim through the posts and
they keep me familiar with problems and fixes to SipX that I might
encounter and apply later.  If a topic comes up that I may be able to
contribute and provide an answer, I can do it.  With a forum, that's
just not going to happen -- I'm not going to go to the forums because I
don't have the time and it's not top of mind.  My fear is that people
like ME are not going to participate -- not that the engineers,
resellers, and service providers aren't (they'll be there because they
have to service and sell a product).

I don't think that this is an "old school" vs. contemporary question.  I
think that it is a "how people work" question.  Every person works
differently and, I think the goal is to keep as many folks involved in
this project as possible -- in the way that best suits them to
contribute.  I think we made a great stride when Matt cobbled the list
into a forum.  Now the question is, "how can we make it better?"

One thought I have -- from the mailing list perspective -- is whether
more digest options are available (to package all the messages daily,
for example)?  Also, is it possible to group all the messages in a
digest by topic so that the conversation on that topic can be read
linearly?

I'm not opposed to the forum, I just don't want the mailing list to go
away.

Paul