> I went through the requirements in detail on this list, and I never
> could find a plan that would work.
> There were 2 huge issues.
> 1)I never understood a way I could have a seamless transition to an fxo
> for outbound calls if the connection to the central office went down.

Audiocodes GWs can do this. It became stable starting firmware release 5.8
and it is supported in sipXecs 4.2.
http://wiki.sipfoundry.org/display/xecsuserV4r2/AudioCodes+6.00+Stand-Alone+
Survivability

A second option would be to configure the local gateway as an emergency
gateway in the phones. For Polycom phones you can do this through the UI on
the phone screen adding a line, then go to tab Dial Plan. If the main route
to sipXecs cannot be found, the phone uses the 2nd one, which points at the
local GW.  You can configure this on the phone group level as well.

> 2)I never understood a way I could make the call traffic go in and out
> the local mpls connection at the remote office without putting a local
> sipx device of some sort at the remote site. My understanding was if
> sipx supported media release, this would have been possible.

Explain 'media release'.  sipXecs separates media from signaling and local
media stays local.

> I wanted to do what you describe, but I was unable to find a way to
> make it work for us. I'll be glad to keep discussing if you think there
> is a way.

I do.
--martin