On 8/19/2010 9:26 PM, Martin Steinmann wrote:
>> I went through the requirements in detail on this list, and I never
>> could find a plan that would work.
>> There were 2 huge issues.
>> 1)I never understood a way I could have a seamless transition to an fxo
>> for outbound calls if the connection to the central office went down.
> Audiocodes GWs can do this. It became stable starting firmware release 5.8
> and it is supported in sipXecs 4.2.
> http://wiki.sipfoundry.org/display/xecsuserV4r2/AudioCodes+6.00+Stand-Alone+
> Survivability

I started with 4.0.2, so perhaps this is something that may have worked,
but wasn't available at the time. I am using Audiocodes MP 114s for the
backup gateway.
My outbound traffic at the remote location needs to be SIP. It seems I
have to have an SBC of some sort at the remote office (discussed more below)
> A second option would be to configure the local gateway as an emergency
> gateway in the phones. For Polycom phones you can do this through the UI on
> the phone screen adding a line, then go to tab Dial Plan. If the main route
> to sipXecs cannot be found, the phone uses the 2nd one, which points at the
> local GW.  You can configure this on the phone group level as well.

Is it possible for the user to dial any call exactly the same on the
handset with no knowledge of whether or not their primary SIP connection
is down?
>> 2)I never understood a way I could make the call traffic go in and out
>> the local mpls connection at the remote office without putting a local
>> sipx device of some sort at the remote site. My understanding was if
>> sipx supported media release, this would have been possible.
> Explain 'media release'.  sipXecs separates media from signaling and local
> media stays local.

Maybe that isn't the correct term. That is what Verizon called it. In
this case, it is the ability for the Sipx server to drop out of the
picture for RTP traffic. Asterisk can do this. I was under the
impression Sipx couldn't do this by design since it was a proxy. I need
the sip RTP traffic for a remote site to go in/out their local MPLS
connection. I can't have it coming back through our corporate office.
Here is a description:
http://www.voip-info.org/wiki/view/Asterisk+sip+directrtpsetup
All my endpoints can access each other. There is no IP NAT involved.
Verizon sends calls to our servers by their actual IP and could
communicate directly with the handsets if needed.
This is what my VoIP carrier wanted to do. Sip signaling would go
through the corporate office, but RTP traffic would go directly to and
from the remote site.

>> I wanted to do what you describe, but I was unable to find a way to
>> make it work for us. I'll be glad to keep discussing if you think there
>> is a way.
This was my initial conversation on the topic:
http://www.mail-archive.com/sipx-users@list.sipfoundry.org/msg10781.html
I would love to find a way to make it work. I hit a roadblock with every
scenario I worked on.