From: sipx-users-boun...@list.sipfoundry.org
[mailto:sipx-users-boun...@list.sipfoundry.org] On Behalf Of Michael
Scheidell
Sent: Thursday, August 19, 2010 9:15 PM
To: sipx-users@list.sipfoundry.org users
Subject: [sipx-users] port 5060/ port 5080, proxy why?

Lost in several old emails is 'why' sipx needs to have trunk calls come in
on port 5080 and not 5060.
Several ITSP's insist that they will only send the calls on port 5060 since
that is the standard.
I am working with Level3 on a different issue than the first one, and it
involves a different SIP trunk product, which they say they won't, or can't
change to anything but port 5060.

the problem seems to be mostly for ITSP's who use ip based authentication
since if sipx REGISTERS on init, it registers the source port of 5080.
(so, someone tell me they EVER got voip.ms to work on ip based
authentication?  I never did). The keep trying to send to port 5060. someone
told me they called voip.ms and had it changed to port 5080, but voip.ms
doesn't know anything about this.
Skype worked (since on skype I could specify the ip and port for
connections)

I know a couple of people have worked around this with inbound port mapping,
and I am going to try this with pfsense.

If I send EVERYTHING from a certain ip destined for my sip proxy on port
5060 to sipx internal on 5080, what happens?

say for example:  sip.itsp.com ->  publicsip.secnap.com:5060  [pfsense
xlates this to ].. sip.itsp.com -> private.secnap.com:5080.

I am not sure what pfsense will do with that, and I assume I don't want to
translate EVERYTHING coming in to public port 5060 on the private port 5080.

What if I has the itsp send to a different ip address then was in the naptr/
srv records?.  so, eveyrhing going to siptrunk.secnap.com:5060 goes to
private.secnap.com:5080?
and everything still going to sipcalls.secnap.com:5060 goes to
privste.secnap.com:5060?

Seems that the reverse, outbound packets might be a problem, seeming to
originate from the wrong public ip.

Before I cause Level3 any more trouble, has anyone successfully done this?

--
Michael Scheidell, CTO
o: 561-999-5000
> | SECNAP Network Security Corporation

.         Certified SNORT Integrator

.         2008-9 Hot Company Award Winner, World Executive Alliance

.         Five-Star Partner Program 2009, VARBusiness

.         Best in Email Security,2010: Network Products Guide

.         King of Spam Filters, SC Magazine 2008

  _____

This email has been scanned and certified safe by SpammerTrapR.

  _____