I asked Flowroute what was their preferred method for SIP keepalive.
Apparently, they don't need it at all. Here's the reply:

   The SIP keepalive is used by VoIP providers that cannot transverse NATed
   networks, however, Flowroute's    network supports the use of NATed
   systems as we are able to transverse the network so long as you have not
   modified your system to make it appear as if it is not NATed.

Also, I only have two choices for SIP keepalive on the gateway->ISTP
Account page: None and Empty SIP message. The description below the box
says,

   Defines the message to use for SIP keepalive. If nothing is specified,
   CR-LF (empty SIP message) is used.

This makes it sound like "None" defaults to empty SIP message, or you
can select "empty SIP message." What's the difference?