From: sipx-users-boun...@list.sipfoundry.org
[sipx-users-boun...@list.sipfoundry.org] On Behalf Of Burden, Mike
[...@lynk.com]

When I run a siptrace of an inbound call, I see that before an INVITE is sent
to any of our phones, the following sequence is repeated 11 times:

SipProxy                   SipRegistrar
   |---------- INVITE ---------->|
   |<------- 100 TRYING ---------|
   |<--- 302 MOVED TEMPORARILY --|
   |----------- ACK ------------>|

Is this normal behavior, or is it indicative of a problem in my configuration?

It is normal, as long as the call gets to the right destination.

OTOH, 11 times for a single call is higher than would be expected, and may
indicate that your dial plans are arranged to put the call through too many
steps of "redirection", risking that the Max-Forwards number in the incoming
INVITE will be exhausted.  (Or it may be that there are several destination
phones, and you are seeing the redirection processes for all of the INVITEs to
all of the detinations.)

If you are viewing the call in sipviewer, if you put the cursor over the line
of the INVITE from sipXproxy to sipXregistrar, sipviewer will display the
INVITE and you can look at the request-URI.  Looking at the sequence of
request-URIs in the sequence of INVITEs will show you how the incoming call is
sent to the destination(s).

Dale