Can somebody give me some recommendations on NIC configuration on a small (15
user) deployment with a dedicated DSL line for the ITSP trunk? My background is
really in Asterisk & FreePBX, and I have to date configured those systems with
a dedicated WAN NIC, and either a separate LAN for the handsets, or sharing the
same LAN as the PCs, with the necessary boot parameters added to Windows' DHCP
server.

With the users having a nice sipX web portal, the PCs will need some kind of
connectivity to the sipX box.

I can see various different ways of doing it, but I don't want to head down one
method, only to come across a problem later on. Should I have the entire VoIP
system on a separate network, and connect the spare NIC from the sipX box onto
the Windows LAN just to allow users access to the web portal? If I do this,
then I would have to share a single NIC with the handsets and the WAN
connection to the ITSP. Or should I be looking to have the phones on the same
IP & physical network as the computers, and the second NIC as a dedicated WAN
connection to the ITSP (as I do with Asterisk)? I think I'm mostly confused
because of all the different network ports and SIP services being run by the
system, and also the notion that the handsets may be invited to communicate
directly with the ITSP.

Simple question: do the handsets need an IP route to the ITSP, or can all the
traffic go through the sipX box?

Anybody using single-NIC sipX boxes?

Also, unrelated, are there recommendations for numbering schemes? I can see the
default for extensions is 2xx, but what about rings groups? If I opt to use
3xx, I may find that this conflicts with some other feature somewhere along the
way.

Sorry for such elementary questions!

thanks,
Carl